Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I have scaled these city walls



At the end of the work day today someone was whistling this song in the office. I couldn't see who it was, but the moment stayed with me as I walked to the metro. The whistling reverberated in my thoughts the same as it had sounded as it traveled through the cubicles. I imagined it to be the cleaning man who earlier in the afternoon waved to me in the elevator video camera or one of the architects thinking of the end of the day--in a dreamy mode, pressing their lips together.

On the walk to the way to Dupont Circle, over and over I sang to myself, "These city walls. These city walls." As a writer or artist, don't we all live for these moments? When symbolism is created unknowingly. When real life becomes like a scene from a movie or novel. For me, this is the reason to re-create real life moments: to put down in words what I imagine or experience for others.

Working in the city and living in the suburbs, I have a limited understanding of the "city walls" of Washington D.C. But with each passing moment, I take in the people surrounding, passersby as inspiration.

I love being in a place that feels brand new to me. A place where my observational levels are heightened. A place that inspires me to capture each moment I experience and turn it into poetry, even if the poetry is only in my mind. Even if it hasn't formed itself into stanzas, line breaks, rhythm. And to be reminded that art is made by art. That living and small moments that turn into ideas are the meaning behind art. To know that we all are searching for the perfect line and to be okay with admitting, "but I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

1 comment:

  1. I had this moment yesterday on the Muni. Sal and I were discussing possible new style choices for his wardrobe when a rather intoxicated person got on the crowded train and sat right next to us. The person overheard our conversation, and pretty soon we were discussing my lack of make-up and how Sal dresses like a "real man" and how this individual was glad they were "a boy-girl." As we got off the Muni, Boy-Girl told me to wear a little more lipstick, spice it up for my man.

    Ok, now I'm off to write this all into some flash nonfiction. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete